CBA Labs & Conference: Building a European Cultural Backbone
The Cultural Broadcasting Archive is inviting to participate in a series of events running on 23-26 May in Linz, Austria to explore and expand technology for community-based exchange and publication.
With collaborative hacking projects, CBA wants to push forward a common base for a European Cultural Backbone for community media and their surrounding media spheres.
The unconference-style event will feature sessions, workshops and co-creation labs.
Topics of discussion will include:
- Metadata modeling for community media exchange
- Using wiki data as a rich source for metadata terms
- Federated and decentralized recommender systems: Technologies, privacy implications
- Search & personalization: What could search algorithms oriented towards the common good look like? Which approaches to follow and technologies to use?
- European Public: What are international communication needs and in which ways could a European public be reached? How to deal with multilingualism and what are the perspectives for automatic translations?
- Decentralized authorization and authentication: Alternatives to data tracking, federation or crypto keys, …
The intention is also to open a collective brainstorming area to develop new ideas on what a public sphere for community media can look like in practice.
The event is targeted towards developers, designers, activists and media makers.
The hackathon will be preceded by a few days of more focused discussion on how to advance Open Audio Search into a federated system.
A project by cba, Radio FRO & arso.
Kindly supported by European Cultural Foundation, Kulturamt, Open Commons und Volkshochschule / Stadt Linz, Servus.at, Shared Digital European Public Spaces (SDEPS) and Verband Freier Rundfunk Österreich.